Friday, July 1, 2016

Green Machine Quinoa Salad


Have you ever had one of those days where your body was literally begging for you to eat a really big, really green salad? I have felt super sluggish lately, which I'll chalk up to having a few sleepless nights with a fussy (suspected teething) baby, and I know I've needed to up my green veg game. Leafy green salads don't tend to fill me up and leave me feeling really satisfied, though, so I turned to the nutritional powerhouse that is quinoa for this job.

Not only is quinoa a gluten-free grain, which is what it's most often marketed as, but it's a complete protein - meaning, it contains all of the essential amino acids that our bodies require but cannot make on their own. Because it's packed with protein, it will help to make you feel full and give you plenty of energy.  I've had an aversion to it's trademark nutty/earthy flavor in the past, but with the dressing on this salad, you don't need to worry about that at all! It's a great starter recipe if you're trying quinoa for the first time. Just cook it according to the package directions, and mix it all up. This salad is best refrigerated for a few hours or overnight, so that all of the flavors can mingle and do their thing, but I ate a bowl straight away and it tasted great too.



No comments:

Post a Comment